Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Day of Homeschooling

Day one of homeschooling and my mind is already contemplating how we could possibly afford private school next year. It is not the curriculum that is the problem as much as it is the behavior of the pupils. Emma, bless her heart, is my crier. She cries over the smallest boo-boo, slightest upset and when the world does not arrive to her service immediately. Yep, she's just like her mommy! But, I do think she is a better version of me.

So, to get back to my original point, dealing with behavioral issues was a drag. During "calendar time" we were singing the "ABC" song and Emma, apparently, did not want Sammy to sing, evidenced by her growling at him and then crying. Okay, so that is rather funny and I wish I would have had a video camera to capture Emma in all her feistiness.

On a bright now, we did get through today's curriculum and Sammy seems to enjoy it. We survived! And now, on the next 165 days! Lord help me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I had the same experience the first and second and third time... whats so difficult and takes so much skill and flexibility it finding something for each of them at the level they are at. Vange runs around does "her thing" the whole time and Malachi being a boy needs constant changing up and 5 minute physical activity breaks.

Hang in there, it will take awhile for them to get used to the schedule and routine.

What curriculum are you using?

I am making a hodge podge of things... how long a day are you doing?

i didn't realize you had 3 already! I lost track of your blog this last year, you got busy girl! how old are they?

Emily Ban said...

Hi! I'm really bad about updating my blog (mainly because I don't think I have many readers anyway lol).We're doing "My Father's World" curriculum.Yep, Sammy is so high energy and it can be hard to keep him focused on a task. I think I change my mind regarding this whole homeschooling thing moment to moment. One moment I feel encouraged and one to press on with it and the next moment I'm trying to brainstorm how we can possibly afford a private christian school.I'm also trying to keep the kids involved in playgroups & church so they get social interaction. This means that often times our schedule varies.I think the lessons are each supposed to take an hour and a half, six days a week. I'm not too stressed about keeping on top of the curriculum because he is only 4, but this is kind of a trial run to see if this is something that's realy going to work for us. Oh, and my kids are 4, 2 and 10 months (and we're done!). I had no idea 3 kids would be this much craziness!

I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby!

Our Expanding Family

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers