Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Week of Hard Partying

Sammy had a busy birthday week! On the day of his real birthday, Wednesday, I took him in the morning to get his 1 year photos taken at the JCPenney Portrait Studio. For his first year of life I have tried to take him every month (missed a few months though due to illness or vacation). This time, I stopped beforehand at Cupcake Craving and purchased a banana cupcake for him to take a picture with. I thought it would make for some cute pictures and boy did it ever. He had that cupcake latched to his mouth like it was permenantly stuck there. In the end, the pose I chose was of him with the cupcake in his hand, a big 'ol frosting mustache and goatee and an expression on his face which apeared to say, "This is delicious!! Whoa! And I think I'm on sugar overload right now!!" It was adorable. Correction: he is adorable. We actually did a lot of different poses before the cupcake one but he just wouldn't stay still and always was making a beeline for different balls in the room.

That night, Travis and I decided we would just go out to dinner with our parents and Sammy since he was going to have a big birthday bash on Saturday. We went to Texas Roadhouse and while the server was giving us our drinks she acidentally spilled one and it broke right by Sammy and I. Glass went flying, Sammy and I were covered in Sweet Tea and Sammy burst into tears. Luckily, the glass didn't get us but we had to thoroughly clean off the diaper bag for sure. Later, the manager came over and said that the dinner was on them and then at the end of the dinner they gave us three free dinner for twos. The grandparents were very nice and told us to keep it, so now Travis and I have a few more date nights ahead of us. : ) Grammy Bev brought Sammy a cupcake and he wasn't so bold with this cupcake. He wasn't sure what to do with it at first and he started taking little nibbles like a puppy would (no hands). It was so funny! Eventually he picked it up and ate it like a champ.

On Saturday, we had a birthday party for him and our immediate family and close friends at Steve's Pizza. They have a nice, big room in the back and the location was great too. I may have overdone his first birthday, but hey, it's his first birthday & he's my sweet little guy! I think everyone enjoyed themselves so I'm glad for that. I, on the other hand, was way too stressed to sit down & relax. You would think that since I didn't prepare the food that I would be able to relax and enjoy myself but that's not quite my nature when I am the hostess. My dad was nice enough to pay for the pizzas & most of the time I spent eyeballing the pizzas trying to figure out if I should order more and if people were truly getting enough to eat. We also could only use the room for two hours & we were trying to rush through all the cake eating & present unwrapping. When Travis picked up the Sesame Street cake he also grabbed a slab of chocolate fudge cake. Omigoodness, I so did not want chocolate for Sammy's cake because I figured chocolate would be way too much sugar & caffeine for him...not to mention the huge mess it would make. But, Travis got his way & Sammy indulged in his cake. What a mess! Luckily we put a tarp down under him so as to not make a mess at the restaurant. When I look at the pictures I just crack up because he looks like a greedy king. All in all, the party was a success but I think I'm going to do these events more low key in the future.

I keep trying to upload pictures but blogger won't let me!! All it keeps posting is the picture code!!! Argh!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

happy 1st birthday! amazing how quickly time flies by that first year, eh? glad it all went well and cant wait to see pictures!

Our Expanding Family

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers