"Some complain that roses have thorns -- others rejoice that thorns have roses!"
I saw this quote recently & it definitely made me stop & think. It's often easier to see the bad things ("thorns") in life, unmet needs or desires, and to forget about the blessings (roses). Sometimes I grumble inside because it is going to be 4 years before Travis is done with school (i.e. 4 years until we have money, 4 years until we can move, 4 years until we can buy the extras in life, etc.). My big issue is that I really want to move out of this house, out of the "ghetto" & to a neighborhood where I feel safer. I forget that most young families don't automatically have money to buy a house in a decent neighborhood. Most new families don't have money to buy the 'extras'. There is usually a period of struggling ("sowing") and in time, hopefully, it will lead to a reaping from all that hard work/struggle. So, it may be difficult right now but there are so many roses amongst the thorns and I need to remind myself of this fact often. Part of the blessing during this time is that we are learning to rejoice in the small things. We are learning to be creative with what we do have. Before I was married I spent money all the time. If I could not afford something I put it on credit card. I did not deny myself anything I wanted, within reason (not like I had deep pockets or anything), because it was just me in charge of my finances. Boy have times changed! I don't do frivolous shopping anymore. My interests have changed as well. Whenever I was bored I would go to Starbucks or go shopping (with friends or alone). Now, I am more into cooking, taking care of my son & husband, and household tasks. Hanging out with friends is a treat and something I don't take for granted. That's another thing because motherhood is wonderful but can be very isolating especially since I don't live within a reasonable distance of any friends. So, there have been a lot of drastic changes in my life over the last couple years -- some wonderful, some difficult -- but that's just a part of life.
I just hope that through these difficult times I can look past the thorns, embrace the roses and be the best mother and wife that I can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment