Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's 3am...

It's 3am and I should be sleeping. I made some errors in judgement and am now paying for it. Number One Error in Judgement: I let Sam take a longer nap today. He usually takes a 2-3 hour nap around 11-2 and then a 1-2 hour nap between 4-7pm. He then goes to bed for the night between 8-9pm and will usually sleep until around 7am. I was busy getting stuff done and let him sleep longer. He didn't have a late afternoon nap and then around 7pm I noticed he was showing his fussy "I'm tired" signs, so I put him to bed. I didn't go to bed until around 1:30am because Travis and I were up watching American Idol (we DVRed it -- it's nice to be able to fast forward through all the excess stuff). Well, we went to bed and around 2:30am Samuel started cooing and babbling. I had a feeling he was probably sitting up in his crib talking to his reflection in the mirror (we put a mirror on the wall behind his bed). Travis went to go check on him and that was exactly what he was doing! Very cute if you ask me. But not sooooo cute when it's 2am and you want to sleep. Then for awhile after that he started to cry and fuss. And next, I committed one of the no-no parent moves. I picked him up, and rocked him while feeding him a bottle. Now maybe this is not so horrible but from what I have heard and read it is a bad move to make because then the child will want a bottle in the middle of the night all the time (I still do it occasionally, though). I just loved looking down at him even after he had finished his bottle and was staring back up at me with a look of, "What are you staring at, mommy?" He then started to grab and pull on my hair which always makes him smile to watch mommy try and free her hair from his iron grip. When he started getting more animated, I thought, "Oh-no, he's getting more and more awake now" to which I then put him back to bed. I can hear him still making noises in there and I'm betting he's looking at himself in the mirror.

Earlier today he would dump his bucket of blocks over and then grab each block and examine them. I would pick up a block and say its color and shape and then put it back in the back in the bucket while saying, "put it back in the bucket." He would pick up a block and put it in the bucket or sometimes he would just dump the bucket over or put the block in the bucket but still have his hand rested on it for a few moments. I would try to encourage him to follow mommy's directions by then clapping my hands and saying "yaaaaaay" when he followed my command. He's also beginning to understand "no" more because he will start to fuss. I love watching him start to understand the world around him more.

He's got those two teeth next to the two front teeth coming in now (can't remember their name). By far his favorite hobby is grabbing onto mommy's hair.

He's finally quiet. Maybe mommy can go get some sleep now (it'll be one of those accidentally putting formula in the coffeemaker and coffee in the bottle kinda mornings).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

guess what? i did the same thing!! cael took a 3 hour nap yesterday and now he is up. ready to play. and i was laying there totally thinking of you and this post. glad that we're not alone in all of this. and wishing and hoping he would go back to sleep! no more 3 hour naps for cael!!

Emily Ban said...

That is funny!

Unknown said...

hey! to answer your question about solids, i was pretty cautious until he was 6 months old. i gradually introduced pretty much everything except milk, chocolate, nuts, and berries. it's nice because now he eats everything we eat and won't eat baby food anymore. happy feeding ;)

Our Expanding Family

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers