8 lbs. 4 oz. & 19 1/2 inches long
Sacramento, CA
12:42PM
(This post will probably be compiled over a span of some days. I'm tired,as you might expect, so don't be surprised if this post is barely understandable. ;) )
Emma Jean's arrival began Tuesday night, around 2am.I was sleeping and jumped out of bed, exclaiming, "I think my water broke...no wait...maybe I just peed...no, my water broke." Grammy Bev came over to watch Sam and Travis and I proceeded on to the hospital. Around 8am I was only about 4cm dilated and my contractions had just started to begin.Around 10am I could no longer sustain the pain without some serious medication -- bring on the epidural!! What a world of difference between this delivery and Samuel's. I could actually feel my legs this time. I could actually feel something instead of absolutely nothing which helps when it comes time to push. Just before noon I started pushing and Emma Jean came out at 12:42pm. When they placed her on my chest she actually lifted her head and looked up at me. I'm sure she was thinking, "So, you're the one who was supplying me with copious amounts of doughnuts and ice cream." And guess who got to help deliver Emma?? Her daddy! Yep, since Travis is a paramedic and has delivered babies before the doctor gave him the go-ahead to "catch" Emma. He wanted to last time, but Sam ended up needing THE vacuum.
When Grammy Bev and Travis brought Sammy to the hospital to visit his sister for the first time he seemed uncertain about what to think of this new little baby. He likes to stroke her head and says "baby" a million times a day. I just wish he was a little bit older so that I could leave him in a room with her for a minute if I need to get something.He's still learning to be gentle and that we don't poke Emma's eyes.He really seems to like her, though. What's funny is that he loves Elmo and has said Elmo a million times a day for months, so instead of referring to Emma as Emma, her refers to her as "Elmo". I tell him,"Say EMMMMA," to which he replies, "Elmo". Oh, well, guess she will be "Elmo" to Sammy.
She's a very easygoing baby, sleeps a lot and really only cries when she's hungry or if her diaper is being changed. She often furrows her brow and gives off the appearance of having an "attitude". Oh no, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.She's a sweet baby girl and I can't believe I am a mommy of two! This is the big leagues now! There is a vast difference between having one child and having more than one child! If I thought I was juggling a lot of balls in the air before...haha...I have become the multitasking queen.
(And don't expect to see any pictures of me soon. For some reason I have the lovely ability to swell to epic proportions as a ramification of the labor & delivery process, as well as, break the capillaries in my face and develop a weird rash on my shoulders...it has happened both deliveries.)
3 comments:
yay i'm so glad she's here!! and how cool that your husband got to catch her. that is amazing!! she's so precious :)
Congratulations!!! I kept checking to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I feel for you regarding all the swelling. I had tree trunk legs after Samantha was born. I could only wear maternity skirts for a few weeks because even my maternity shorts didn't fit! Unfortunately family members like everyone in pictures. I could have done without that :).
Belated congratulations! =) I love birth stories. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment